Community League 14/15 YO
2017 West Metro Inter-League Rules
These rules should be covered during ground rules prior to each game to make sure both teams have the same understanding before the game starts – especially time limits since that will typically vary by league/field. Any rule not specifically covered above will default to the home team’s league rule. Except as modified by these rules, high school baseball rules apply
- Eight players are required to start and finish a game.
- Teams that are short players may call-up players to play for that team, in accordance with their league’s policies or practices. If a team arrives for a game with less than 9 players, the opposing team will loan that team players (who may rotate) who will play in the field, but not bat. However, for purposes of the standings, a team that begins play with 8 or fewer of its own players shall be deemed to have forfeited the game.
- If a team is leading by a big margin the team with the lead should give other players an opportunity to pitch and play positions that they are less skilled at so they can develop other skills.
- The umpire is the game official and is always right. Please accept umpires calls as final at all times.
- All games that have gone 5 innings (or 4 1/2 if the home team is ahead) shall be complete games if stopped because of rain or darkness.
- The 10-run rule will apply to all games. All games that have gone 5 innings (or 4 1/2 if the home team is ahead) shall be complete games.
- The home team manager or representative from the home league has the authority before a game starts to cancel games if field conditions are determined to be unsafe for players or will be subjected to damage. Once the game starts, the umpire has authority to cancel or suspend any game.
- Canceled or games suspended before the completion of 4 1/2 innings (or 5 innings if the home team is behind) may be rescheduled if fields are available and there are no game conflicts.
- The time limit for games will use the home team’s community/field rule. Check with Home Coach prior to the game to see if there are any succeeding games and if not whether the game can be played to completion.
- Batting for teams will be “round robin.” Everyone bats that is on the roster for the game. If a player arrives late, that player will be placed at the bottom of the order.
- In regards to pitching rules, each Association should adhere to their internal pitch count/innings for games. SEE BELOW FOR MBA PITCHING RULES/LIMITS
- Teams will use unlimited defensive substitution in each game, except for the pitching position. Once a pitcher leaves the mound, they may not return to the mound during that game.
- There will be a balk warning. Each Pitcher will receive one warning per game.
- There is no “Must Slide Rule.” Runners should avoid “intent to injure” but will not be called out for unintentional contact or for not sliding. Intentional contact will result in an automatic out and “intent to injure” will result in ejection.
- Bats: Players are not allowed to use any of the composite barrel bats that do not meet the NFHS criteria. MBL rules will be enforced and can be found here https://www.mbl.bz/mbl/mbl/rules/general
- 13-year-old Prep League: 2-3/4” diameter or less and minus 10 weight differential or less (or 2-1/4” diameter with unlimited weight differential).
- 14-year-old and 15-year-old Majors/Classic: 2-3/4” diameter or less and minus 5 weight differential or less.
- Teams may use courtesy runners, but are not required to do so. They can be used for a pitcher or a catcher under the following circumstances:
- The courtesy runner must be the last recorded out.
- The catcher must catch the entire next inning, assuming a next inning is possible. If a next inning is not possible, because the no new inning can start, a courtesy runner cannot be used
Time Limits (MBA Fields only)
When Playing on an MBA field and there is a another game immediately following your game there will be no new innings after 2 Hours from the agreed upon start time. Make sure to discuss time limits with both the umpire and opposing coaches before the game.
If there is no game following your game and light permits you are expected to complete the game.
Please note: These time limits apply to only games played on MBA fields, when playing away games other communities may have different rules. Be sure to check with the opposing coach prior to all away games.
MBA will follow the Metro Baseball League Pitching Rules which are as follows...
14 & 15 Year Olds
• Maximum of 10 innings in a 72 hour period
• Total pitch count should typically not exceed 150 over the course of a 3 day tournament
With that being said MBA recognizes that even when these rules are followed correctly it may still lead to a player being over thrown. Because of this MBA Strongly recommends the following guidelines for maximum number of pitches per game and amount of rest needed after throwing a given number of pitches.
Maximum Number of Pitches per day
Recommended Calendar Day Rest After a Given Amount of Pitches
||66 or More
Updated 4/11/17 bks